Tuesday, March 24, 2009

This Just In - Rob Smith (RSD/Smith & Mighty) on Stinky Grooves tonight!!!

It's past 12... so today is tomorrow, if you know what I mean, but I've just confirmed Rob Smith will be joining me on Stinky Grooves this Tuesday (24.03.09) to spin a few tunes (proper oper vinyl and CDs, no frippery from this leg-end) and have a little chinwag, in anticipation of his appearance at 4.20 on Wednesday, and around the country following that. I'm pretty picky about folks coming up on Stinky Grooves (mainly in respect of the many mighty artists, producers  & DJ's that have visited since the early '90s, we don't have no riff raff) and I'm really excited about having Rob going over the bFM airwaves.
 The 'Steppers Delight EP' is one of the all time great 12"s in my estimation and it was stuck in my box for literally years, I still haul it out, and every time it gets an airing it's as timeless and monstrous as ever. You can pick it up for a very reasonable price at Discogs, and working in Real Groovy at the time of its release I can testify to there being a good 50+ copies floating around Auckland, because that was hot cakes business back then (alongside all the good S.U.A.D. hoo-ha, klonk records and other malarkey Mr Buchanan and myself were similarly taken by.)
Some of the earlier 3 Stripe material is more firmly linked to its time, but no less potent and revolutionary, and the dubwise business of Henry & Louis has often floated my boat. With its phenomenal depth and the experience of all those years on the boards shining through, Rob's solo R.S.D. gear over the last few years has exposed the lightweightness of much of the sample-CD soundbite, dibby dibby dudestep action that litters the shelves these days. 

Unfortunately though I have much vinyl I don't have any R.S.D. digitally so let's settle for a trio of Smith & Mighty scorchers close to hand, and look forward to this Bristolian beat bandit getting his renk on in AK over the next couple of days.
(RSDspace)
Photobucket
Photobucket

B LINE FI BLOW - SMITH & MIGHTY
DOWN IN RWANDA - SMITH & MIGHTY
MOVE YOU RUN - SMITH & MIGHTY WITH TAMMY PAYNE

No comments:

Post a Comment